Fingerprint-Based Criminal History Review
ORDERING YOUR BACKGROUND CHECK
- PLEASE NOTE: CURRENT LICENSEES DO NOT NEED TO COMPLETE THE FINGERPRINT-BASED CRIMINAL HISTORY REVIEW IN ORDER TO RENEW THEIR LICENSE.
In accordance with Act 553 of the 2022 Regular Legislative Session, all initial license applicants shall be required to complete a fingerprint-based criminal history review conducted by the Louisiana State Police on and after Monday, July 3, 2023. The new law, which became effective on January 1, 2023, also requires:
- The following items are to be submitted to the Louisiana State Police Bureau:
(Please note: The Background Check Authorization Form and Rapsheet Disclosure Form are only available on the LREC website. Louisiana State Police nor any local law enforcement agency will not be able to provide either forms.)
- Background Check Authorization Form
- Rapsheet Disclosure
- Fingerprinting fee ($10.00) OR fingerprinting card (if not being processed by Louisiana State Police)
- Louisiana State Police recommends applicants contact their local law enforcement agency to have fingerprints processed if they are unable to visit LSP Headquarters located in Baton Rouge.
- Background check fee ($39.25)
Physical Address: 7919 Independence Blvd. Baton Rouge, LA 70806
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 66614, #A-6 Baton Rouge, LA 70896-6614
Any forms/documents and corresponding fees related to background checks should be submitted directly to the Louisiana State Police Bureau of Criminal Identification and Information, not the LREC.
- Once all the forms and information have been submitted to the Louisiana State Police and payment has been processed, the background check and fingerprinting process can take up to 21 business days to complete. Please plan accordingly.
- The fingerprint-based criminal history review is only one part of the license application process. It is recommended that all applicants review the following checklists for more information:
Learn more about the fingerprint-based criminal history review process by checking out some frequently asked questions.