All applicants for a real estate license must provide a criminal background history, as part of the initial application process. The LREC suggests that you wait to order your background check until you have passed your real estate exam to avoid expiration of the results. Background checks expire 120 days after being issued.
To ensure that this information is received in a standard, consistent format, with a level of quality that adequately meets this requirement, the LREC has contracted with Clearbox, LLC to conduct criminal background history checks on each initial license applicant.
Note that obtaining your criminal background history information is only a part of the application process, and completion of this requirement is not to be performed, nor will it be accepted by the LREC, in lieu of submitting an initial application form. See the following links for additional information about the application process and the forms required to complete it.
GETTING STARTED WITH CLEARBOX
- Each individual must set up an online account with Clearbox through the contractor website (If you are having trouble signing in, etc., contact Clearbox about your account by creating a ticket on their support page).
- Fill in all required fields. You must use a credit or debit card in your name to process your background check. If the name on your credit or debit card does not match the name on your application you will receive an error message. If you do not have a credit or debit card in your name, you can contact Clearbox to request an additional payment option. **Clearbox charges a $75.00 fee to process your background check without a credit or debit card payment.
- Payments made to Clearbox are separate and apart from any initial application fees paid to the LREC.
- Upon completion, you will receive an email with instructions you must follow to complete the process. Emails will be sent from firstname.lastname@example.org. If you do not see the emails, check your junk or clutter folders.
- Follow the link in the email to log in to your Clearbox account. Once logged in, you will see your dashboard with the date you ordered your background check displayed. To the right of the date, click “Make Viewable.” After clicking, it will read “Make Private” — DO NOT CLICK AGAIN. This authorizes the LREC to view your background check results. If you see “Make Private,” only you and the LREC will have access to view your background check. If you see “Make Viewable,” only you can see your background check.
- A signed written release to the information contained in your criminal background history is not required.
- Establishing a Clearbox account and ordering your criminal background history serves as consent for the information contained therein to be released to the LREC.
- Applicants whose criminal background history contains arrest/conviction information, or similar negative results, maintain the right to appear before the LREC to request authorization to sit for the real estate licensing examination; however, they are encouraged to contact the LREC prior to beginning the application process.
AFTER MY CRIMINAL BACKGROUND HISTORY IS ORDERED
- You will be able to view your criminal background history by logging in to your Clearbox account. The LREC does not provide copies of background checks.
- Do not send your criminal background history to the LREC unless requested to do so.
- Remember that ordering your criminal background history is only part of the initial application process. If you have not already done so, don’t forget to submit the initial application form, and any other required documentation, to the LREC.
- A license must be issued within 120 days of the background check results or the background check will be considered expired.
Clearbox cannot answer questions about the initial application or licensing process. Contact the LREC Education and Licensing Department for questions. Call 225-925-1923 or 800-821-4529.
The LREC cannot answer questions about or provide copies of an applicant’s background check. Contact Clearbox for questions regarding your background check by creating a ticket on their support page.